The Old McHenry County Courthouse, the majestic anchor of the bustling Historic Woodstock Square, was erected in 1857, designed by John Mills Van Osdel, chief architect of Chicago’s Palmer House. The building was joined by the accompanying Sheriff’s House & Jail in 1887, and issued landmark status by the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. After a new government center was built in 1972, local residents purchased the historic buildings and established an art gallery, studios, restaurant and museum space, including the former Chester Gould/Dick Tracy Museum. By 2011 it was clear the buildings’ growing repair and restoration needs were cost-prohibitive for continued private ownership, and the buildings were transferred to City of Woodstock. A professional assessment of the buildings’ condition was conducted and an outline of essential repairs, and estimated costs, was provided. The City has invested over $3 million in a new roof, dome, stairs and structural repairs, windows and masonry to stabilize the buildings.
Please consider a donation to our “Reveal the Ceiling” campaign. A multi colored, stenciled ceiling was uncovered in 2018 in the main courtroom. This fantastic design was probably installed during major renovations in the early 1900s and would be an incredible addition to the proposed banquet space if it were restored.
Donations will be recognized with a plaque on the FOTOC wall. Please support FOTOC’s efforts to retain this important element of this grand historic structure.
NOTE: Please email the name(s) as you would like them to appear on the plaque to Sue.FOTOC@mail.com after completing payment.
Judge level of Reveal the Ceiling Donation at $2,500
Attorney level of Reveal the Ceiling at $1,000
Bailiff level of Reveal the Ceiling Donation at $500
Jury level of Reveal the Ceiling Donation at $100.00